Wednesday, April 14, 2010

WESCOG cheap laser dryfire trainer

I've been thinking about Crimson Trace laser grips and really like the idea that it can help with dryfire practice. When the trigger breaks the dot should not move.

Of course the CT grips are a bit costly. I had also thought about one of the boresight laser devices. A lot cheaper but still around $40.

I remembered that I had a cheap laser pointer pen that I paid ~$3 for. I also have some fairly strong magnets that I had scrounged and figured it would be very simple to make a laser practice device out of the stuff I had on hand that I could stick on the side of my slide or other ferrous part of the gun.

As is the laser is a little too easy to move so adding a couple of magnets would help stabilize it. Of course, a couple of rubber bands would eliminate the magnets but would not be as convenient.

This is not meant to be an aiming device. It's not a laser sight. The dot will be somewhat offset from your sights (like CT grips) but you should be able to note the dot position and see if it moves when the trigger breaks.

Nothing special here, just documenting a quick implementation of this idea. All suggestions for improvement are welcome.


Cheap pen with built in laser pointer


Minus the pen part


Here's the dot


Add a couple scrounged magnets


Tape magnets in place


Stuck on the side of the slide, see the dot?


Here it is stuck on the side of the gun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home