Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Spikes AR-15 - 22 LR conversion kit revisited

It seems I've found the right combination for the 22 kit to run. I've gotten an unnotched hammer to run in one of my lowers and polished the face and rounded area that contacts the bolt. I also polished the underside of the bolt that contacts the hammer. I also put some JB Bore paste on the bearing surfaces of the bolt and bolt carrier and worked in to smooth in those areas. After a careful cleaning, I decided it would do to try at our local steel match.

Running Winchester 555 bulked pack HPs, I did not keep track of the malfunctions but the kit seemed to wear in. I had a few malfunctions in the first couple of stages but then it ran fine. I did have an ignition failure in one of the latter stages but I think this was a cartridge issue and not one with the gun or kit.

The rifle and conversion kit ran well enough for me to take 3rd overall at the match behind a a steel expert running a custom Ruger MK-III with a red dot and an excellent rifle shooter, also running an AR-15 with a 22 conversion kit, albeit with a red dot to my iron sights. In my defence, I was 3/100 of a second behind the other rifle shooter in 2nd place in overall time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home