Sunday, January 08, 2006

More shooting stuff from the weekend

Saturday, my buddy and I went out to set up the shotgun side match stage(s) for the USPSA match today. We spent a couple of hours clearing out an unused bay at South East Firearms Training Center AKA Jeff's backyard. We ended up with a nice little speed course with two clay targets and ten steel plates. We then ran it though a few times with 9mm Winchester white box ammo to calibrate the plates. (No we didn't shoot the clays with the 9mm.) Then we tinkered around doing horrendous turn and draws (essentially the first shot of an El Presidente stage) on the one "A" zone sized plate.

After wandering back up to Jeff's house and helping dispose of the (several days old) deer doe that turned up out by the pond, we let him convince us to run through a pistol course he had set up a couple weeks back as a training tool. Since Jeff is a GM class shooter, it would have been rude for us to turn him down, so we reluctantly agreed. (Yeah, right...) Tony's first run at the course took 20+ seconds. By the time we had run it through with Jeff pointing out errors and improvement areas, Tony hit 13 seconds and change and I had run a 10+ second run with a open gun and 29+1 in the gun. (Ok, the multiple misses and hits on the no-shoot targets caused that 10 second run to dim a bit, umm, lot.) Jeff, however, posted a 9.89 first run and hit 9.29 with mostly A's and a couple of C's. Him = GM, us = nowhere close.

We convinced him to wander down and critique the shotgun stage, which involved a Benelli and bag of shotshells. We all ran it to offer up objective opinions, us around 16-18 seconds, Jeff ~13.

Back to the house to prep for Sunday's match. I loaded ~60 rounds of 40 S&W for Tony, 140 rounds of 9 minor and 100 rounds of 9 major for myself. Mounted the skyscreens for the timer/chronograph. Charged the batteries for the camcorders, packed the shotguns, shells, etc, etc.

This morning. Have to be out early as the club president was striken with some flu bug and did not get out to set up courses yesterday. Get back out to Jeff's around 8:30 and help set up for the match. It's a special classifier match and I do not have classifications in Limited 10 and Open yet so I am running them both back to back. I have my Glock 17 set up the a compensated barrel and slide mounted red dot sight and my plain vanilla Glock 19. I'm using the same holster and mag carriers for each but have to swap ammo. It was a bit hectic but I manage to shoot all stages twice. The more I shoot the open gun, the better I seem to shoot the limited/production gun by comparison. I will probably beat myself on match points with the L10 runs over the Open runs.

After lunch and everyone else was gone, I came back by and tested the chronograph function which seemed to work exceptionally well. It confirmed my minor loads are indeed making minor at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home