Friday, January 06, 2006

Shooting stuff

I got my timer in Tuesday but have not had time to take it out to the range yet. The manual did not make it to me and I had an IDPA match Tuesday evening, so I did not get to play it it much then.

I've run some par times and have begun assessing where I am for a few tasks. I have concentrated on mag changes and I'm pretty consistant at 1.5 seconds. It takes about twice that for a reload with retention. I need to get a bar set up for the chronograph skyscreens. I tried temporarily taping them to a table and shooting across with an airsoft gun but my interior lights don't work well with the skyscreens. I only got one reading which was about the velocity I expected. It should work much better in sunlight.

The IDPA match was a good thing for me. I have been shooting USPSA for a while and this has really improved my speed. I put the fastest time on the speed stage. Unfortunately I dropped a point so another shooter bested the stage with .17 slower time but no points down. Since he won the match I felt pretty good about that stage result. I bobbled one stage due to a problem with my ammo. One case needed to have been retired as the primer pocket had gotten loose. This is one of the problems of using range brass for reloading. Needless to say I tossed it ASAP.

It was good shooting with the TTG group again. I like shooting both sports, IDPA and USPSA, as both emphasize fast accurate shooting but both also encourage different methods of shooting a stage. IDPA tends to force the shooter to do it the "right" way, at least according to IDPA conventions. USPSA allows the shooter to solve the stage as he or she chooses. As a result, I find I do things in IDPA that I normally would not practice, while I tend to run closer to full out in USPSA. I figure the combination of skills will give me more choices if I have to use my guns in a non-sporting situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home